MPEG-1 in DicomObjects (COM Version)
DICOM does not support or allow MPEG-1, and as the movement is towards higher versions of MPEG, it never will. So, those who wish to import MPEG-1 videos into DICOM should convert them to MPEG-2 and then import them, but for those who (for whatever reason) cannot, DicomObjects from 188.8.131.52 onwards (only .5 versions support video) allows use of MPEG-1 via a private transfer syntax, which is 1.2.8184.108.40.20680043.12.1.
The following rules/restrictions apply:
- By default, an attempt to import MPEG-1 will result in an error (previous versions confusingly accepted and displayed as if it were MPEG-2, which produced an error on re-reading)
In order to enable import of MPEG-1, the "AllowMPEG1" registry value (int) must be set to 1. This will:
- cause DicomObjects, to allow the import
- set the internal transfer syntax (ReceivedSyntax) to 1.2.8220.127.116.1180043.12.1 when MPEG-1 images are imported.
- MPEG-2 is still imported properly using the official transfer syntax
- If you are using this method, then you must use this transfer syntax or a non-MPEG (frame by frame) method when subsequently saving to disk, or sending via the network, as conversions between different MPEG versions are not supported.
- There are no restrictions on reading files/network images using that private transfer syntax, but of course, no systems other than DicomObjects will have a clue how to use it - BEWARE!!